Inlays & onlays
Inlays and onlays are used to repair teeth with larger cavities that may be too big to treat with a conventional filling. Made from durable materials such as porcelain and composite resin, an inlay is cemented within a cavity and an onlay covers more of the tooth, including one or more cusps.
How they help
- Effectively repair larger cavities
- Less invasive than other restorations
- Offer protection and strength to a damaged tooth
How they work
Firstly, we remove any areas of decay or existing fillings and then take an impression of the tooth so the inlay or onlay can be produced to fit neatly.
While you are wait, a temporary restoration will be placed to protect the prepared tooth.
During your next appointment, we will remove this and check the inlay or onlay fits properly. We will then fix this permanently to the tooth and polish for an attractive finish.
How to look after them
- Keep them clean – as inlays and onlays fit teeth perfectly, they are particularly durable and protective, and can be easier to keep clean than other restorations.
- Keep attending check-ups and hygiene appointments – this will ensure we can regularly check the condition of your inlay or onlay and make sure you are maintaining an effective oral hygiene routine.
Call us on 01494 783 874 to find out more about this durable, custom-made restoration.